Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month: Win a Nest Protect Fire and Smoke Alarm (RRP £109)

Posted by

This is a paid collaboration.

We are hopefully all aware by now of the need to have fitted, working smoke alarms in our homes. People know the risks of house fires and we take proper precautions against them. We check our alarms routinely and we maintain them as required. Something that isn’t as widely considered though is the importance of Carbon Monoxide monitors and alarms.

If there was a Carbon Monoxide leak in your home, would you know what to do?

Here are some facts around the deadly gas that you may not have known…

Would you know what to do in the event of a Carbon Monoxide leak at home? I found some advice around this on the npower website. There are lots of tips there to help you to stay safe from Carbon Monoxide. They say:

If you suspect a gas leak in your home, in the same way as if there was a fire, you should leave your property immediately. If you’re able to safely leave windows and doors open as you leave then do so. Once in the fresh air, call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 to let them know you have a suspected carbon monoxide leak. They will arrive with the proper equipment to deal with the problem. Under no circumstances should you return to your home until you’re told it’s safe to do so.

  • Switch off the appliance (find out more about potential carbon monoxide sources) and do not turn it back on until you’re told it’s safe by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • If you can, shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve. If carbon monoxide gas continues to escape call National Grid on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room. Do not sleep in it
  • Visit your GP urgently and tell them that you believe your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning. Your GP should advise a blood and/or breath sample be taken

But how would you know if you had a Carbon Monoxide leak?

Well, there’s a clever device called the Nest Protect Fire and Smoke Alarm, and I have one to give away in collaboration with npower.

Simply comment on this post to let me know two of the things you should do if you suspect a Carbon Monoxide leak. Once you’re done, confirm your entry using the gleam widget below.

Good luck!

Nest Protect Fire and Smoke Alarm

14 comments

  1. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room.
    Visit your GP urgently and tell them that you believe your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

  2. In the event of a suspected Carbon Monoxide leak, you should leave your property immediately and then call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge